Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Kayak Journey 1: The Beginning


May 3, 2009


Our first kayak journey of the summer was a trip to Devils Lake in southern Michigan. The lake is beautiful this time of year because it is quiet. That's what I was banking on. I knew it would be calm this time of year; however, the occasional jet ski gang still tooled by us at times. I'll admit I was surprised by that this early in the year because the water was pretty cold. The lake is big so it was easy to stay out of their way.


I would not recommend this lake during the summer season for a quiet kayak-paddling afternoon. There are many weekend warriors, and summer-time visitors who frequent this lake. The lines of cabins and homes on the water's edge are of all shapes and sizes. With this stated, it was a pleasure to wave to all the homeowners setting in their docks and doing a bit of leisurely spring cleaning.


We were lucky to start out with a sunny 70 degrees that turned into an overcast toward the end of our shoreline paddle. Some of the homes on the lakes were beautiful, but I still prefer something a bit more quiet.
The next journey? I believe it will be the muddy Maumee River.

2 comments:

Fawning Parasite said...

I'm surprised that you like the really quiet kayaking trips. You seem like the kind of person who would be white-water-rafting down Niagara Falls. You're full of surprises Mr. A.

Caitlin Cousino said...

Hey Mr. Ackerman! This is Caitlin, the tree hugging red-head of '06. I'm really appreciating how you manage this site, especially the decision to add twitter. If you ever feel so inclined, send me an email at senthailife@gmail.com. Have some wonderful adventures this summer!
Namaste and much love,
Caitlin